Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Completed another chapter!



Reflective Thoughts 

  (I Love My Job)

Over the course of my Master’s program, there have been a few epiphanies that have happened to me. One that sticks out in my mind is the anti-bias approach.  I always assumed I had an anti-bias classroom, however, I did not realize my own privileges have affected my person bias in other aspects of my life and career. I am now very aware of bias and see it clearly.  This has been a life changer for me. Another realization has happened in the course of working collaboratively with colleagues.  I have always worked well with colleagues; however, understanding how to work for the greater good was eye opening to me.  As individuals, sometimes we get stuck in our mindset and do not want to accept change or new ideas.  Through my masters course I have a better understanding about how to bring ideas to the table but also be open and understanding to different approaches.  This has been very beneficial already in my career and personal life. The final epiphany for me has been the cultivation of my passion.  The mentoring and guidance I received helped me to put my passion into action.  It has given me a jump start in developing what I get excited about and to ensure that learning through play is not lost in the early childhood world.
One long term goal that I have is to align standards with play practice.  This document will give teachers a voice to argue why play is important and back it up with showing others why children do what they do and what they are gaining form this experience.  Another goal is to mentor teachers in developing an environment that cultivates this learning.  A respectful caring loving environment meant to facilitate learning through play with an emphasis of outdoor learning.
Although I am ecstatic to complete my master’s program and am thrilled to achieve this task I have set out to accomplish, I am very sad to see it come to an end.  Everyone has been such a positive influence in my life.  I feel I have broaden my outlook by working with individuals from all over the world.  It has been incredible to work with others that share my passion of early childhood.  I recall getting excited to discuss certain topics because at home my family gets sick of hearing me talk about early childhood topics.  Being able to collaborate with others and get excited about how we can change the way people look at early childhood has been a wonderful opportunity.  Instead of ending my experience I hope to continue to connect with individuals I have met through Walden University.  What an amazing experience!

Favorite Quotes:

“The experience of play changes the connections of the neurons at the front end of your brain, and without play experiences, those neurons aren’t changed,”  (Hamilton, 2014). 
“When we play, we engage in the purest expression of our humanity, the truest expression of our individuality.”
-Stuart Brown M.D. (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011). 
“When we participate in the larger activism work of creating a just society and world for all children, not only do we help change the world but also we deepen other people’s understanding of the unique needs of young children and their families,”  (Derman-Sparks & Edwards 2010, p. 160). 

References
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-Bias Education for Young Children and Ourselves. National Association for Young Children.
Hamilton, J. (2014). How Play Wires Kid's Brains for Social and Academic Success. Mind Shift.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011). Merging Vision, Passion, and Practice [Multimedia]. Baltimore, MD: Author. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_8615137_1&content_id=_25824415_1







My Contact info:



Tisha Luthy / Nature Preschool Director – Early Childhood Program Manager
4949 Tealtown Rd.
Milford, Ohio 45122
(513)965-3340
 

 

4 comments:

  1. Tisha,

    Is it not incredible the breadth of which our perspectives have grown over the course of this program?? I too had previously felt like I provided an anti-bias approach in my classroom. Louise Derman-Sparks (and company) certainly opened my eyes to what entails an anti-bias approach, and you nailed it on the head when you talked about privileges afforded to people simply because of their race. If we are not aware of these privileges and learn to keep them in check, we cannot be the anti-bias teachers we desire to be. I applaud your long-term goal regarding the importance of play--this is so important for educators to understand so they can share that "why" with families and the community as a whole. I also share your sadness as this chapter in our journeys come to an end. I wish you well as you continue your good work for the young child.

    Best regards,

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tisha,

      Your pictures are beautiful and yes this has indeed been a life changing moment for me as well. Your feedback and resources was wonderful and the information you provided supported me a great deal. Thanks for everything and keep up the good work. continue in your desire to work with children. Thanks Again

      Katrina Bell
      katrina.bell@waldenu.edu

      Delete
  2. Tisha,
    I admire your epiphanies and reflections on your learning experience through Walden University. I was able to relate to them and share several of your insights. I have come to learn about your passion for the connection from learning to play. It will be wonderful if you could align standards with play practice, and perhaps even develop standards that ARE play practice. I could absolutely see you leading the way in this vision!

    I agree that the end of this program is a mixed bag of emotions. It is thrilling to complete the program and feel a strong sense of accomplishment, but it is also a bit sad, since this has come to be such an active part of my life over the past 20 months. I have asked myself, what will I do now on a Sunday afternoon?

    Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and wisdom. Your passions have been inspirational to me and I have thought of different ways of implementing my own professional practices. Good luck to you and I hope that we can continue to share ideas.

    Denise Madzik
    Coordinator, Reibman Hall Children's Center
    Northampton Community College
    denisemadz@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tisha,
    I have truly learned so much from you. I also very much appreciate the help and support that you have given me during class. I hope that we will continue to be able to be supportive of one another and stay in touch. Feel free to email me at silver.feigner@gmail.com any time.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete